The Portman Group
The Portman Group is the social responsibility body and regulator for alcohol labelling, packaging and promotion in the UK. In 1989 we were founded by alcohol producers to help ensure alcohol is marketed in a socially responsible way; they still lead us today and we are accountable to them to ensure that the whole sector is responsible.
We are a unique self-regulatory body, and we need a Regulatory Affairs Executive to join our small team with a big purpose. You will support the Regulatory Affairs Team to ensure that the drinks industry apply the highest standards to their alcohol marketing through the industry’s Codes of Practice.
This is a varied role and you will have exposure to every element of our regulatory function. You’ll support our Advice Manager in responding to confidential advice requests from the industry to provide guidance on how to abide by our Codes of Practice. You’ll also provide administrative support to the Independent Complaints Panel, the independent body that makes adjudications on complaints that we receive. Finally, you’ll need to be hands on and assist with event organisation and regulatory communications. This is a diverse role that would be ideal for someone looking to gain experience in a regulatory body and understand how self-regulation works.
We believe in supporting the development of new talent. We know that we are a unique organisation so we do not expect you to have alcohol regulation experience. You are most likely to be a graduate with an interest in regulation or someone who may be considering a career change and can demonstrate the transferrable skills we are looking for.
You will have:
- The ability to make sound and consistent judgements on issues of responsible marketing;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills to convey these judgements, with the ability to write clearly, accurately, concisely and appropriately to all correspondents;
- A persuasive, authoritative manner with the ability to remain calm yet resolute in the face of pressure;
- Excellent administrative skills and high standards of personal organisation;
- A willingness to work hard and eagerness to learn;
- Ability to work on own initiative and be self-motivated as well as enthusiasm for being a team player in a very small organisation with a big mission.
What could set you apart:
- Proven experience in successful planning and management of a dynamic workload within a framework of timescales;
- Understanding of and/or an aptitude for marketing activity under a regulatory code, ideally within a regulatory body;
- Experience of delivering engaging presentations to wide audiences.
Now worried that you aren’t the right person – keep reading
We are motivated to build the very strongest team and hold that success is more likely when there is diversity of thought, opinion and background. We know that candidates are often put off applying for a job unless they can tick every box. We also know that we work in a post COVID-19 reality and ‘normal’ office hours aren’t always doable. While we can’t accommodate every flexible working request we are happy to consider flexible options. So if you are excited about working in our regulatory team and you believe that you can do much of what we are looking for please apply.
How to apply
Please send your CV and a succinct cover note explaining why you are interested to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is 19 September. If we receive a high amount of strong applications we may close the posting early so please apply sooner rather than later.